Oh to describe this precious life at three. Wow, I can hardly begin. First of all, it's amazing to think that when Fawn was three we were welcoming Small Fry into our family. Fawn seemed so grown up; and Small Fry still seems so childlike. I actually think they are at just about the same place developmentally and it's really all just relative. In 2012, I was comparing Fawn to an infant -- he did seem grown up. Now I'm comparing Small Fry to a six year old.
While I know I had three amazing years as a mom to Fawn before Small Fry entered our family, I truly cannot imagine life before Small Fry. He is so much a part of us that I don't know how we functioned before him. And, when "they say" love multiplies "they" are so right. Not only has our capacity as parents to love increased (love is patient, in the words of Paul, and more children means more patience), but the love between our children is something this house was missing before there was Small Fry. As one of the boys' favorite books says, "Life is truly twice as fun since you came along." No statement could be more true of Small Fry.
He has grown up so much in the past year. He is potty trained -- woo hoo! -- and did so easily. It was a breeze, and for that this mama is thankful. He can participate in just about any outdoor activity with his older brother -- pedaling a tricycle, playing whatever pretend game Fawn has thought up, and giving his best to any athletic endeavor. He still loves balls -- and loves to be active. We've started gymnastics, which he loves. He is a strong little guy and determined. He sleeps in a big boy bed, and has given up naps (no sorrow here -- I love the extra time with him and not being on a schedule). And he does carpool at school -- morning and afternoon. Just goes on his merry way to get on with his day.
Small Fry is SMALL. He hasn't gained much if any weight since his first birthday. And, has gotten just a bit taller coming in at less than the 10th percent on the scale. We're hoping his eating will improve and he will hit a growth spurt here soon. He's not a terribly picky eater, but it's hard to keep him still or focused for long enough to eat a ton. His favorite foods are almonds, strawberries, scrambled eggs, and macaroni and cheese. He does not like carbonated drinks (yay!), but loves apple juice and Gatorade. He will pretend to be sick so he can have Gatorade. And speaking of being sick, when he is sick (which has been a lot this winter), he insists on a milkshake. Like father, like son.
Small Fry has transitioned to IPC Day School effortlessly and absolutely loves school. He does not, however, like church. He pretends to not know much from school, for example he will not under any circumstance let on that he knows the ABCs but then I will catch him singing them when no one is looking. He is not as likely to grab a stack of books for me to read like Fawn was at this age. But if a book is being read, he hangs on every word and is so attentive. He likes to play near other children, but aside from interacting with Fawn, he is not social. He prefers to keep his circle small. He still loves Mickey Mouse, but is starting to be interested in all the things Fawn loves (TMNT, Transformers, super heroes). When it's just the two of us at home he is much more likely to play with age appropriate toys. He has a style all his own. Boots whenever at all appropriate and what he refers to as hipster clothes. Think hoodies and stripes and jeans. He will not wear any of the cutesy clothes I made for and dressed Fawn in at this age. He's just growing up so fast.
His sweet little voice I could bottle up for the rest of time. I love the way he says "that because" whenever he's asked why. And how "all" comes out more like "awl" and little is "wittwe". And, I even love that he calls me "Fat Belly" and Buck "Big Ole". Small Fry, your Fat Belly and your Big Ole and your Bubby love you more than you will ever know. We are so very thankful for you each day.
No comments:
Post a Comment