Thursday, April 30, 2015

Old Baker Farm Spring Field Trip.

I try to find the silver lining in Fawn's migraines -- and it's there. God truly does use all things for good. He is teaching me how to be empathetic to my son and to other parents who are dealing with children with health needs. He is showing me how to show His love to Fawn even when it's not convenient (you can't schedule migraines, you know!). And the gratitude, oh the gratitude when we have long stretches of good days or headaches that are easily treatable. And I think He is teaching Fawn empathy and kindness as well. One of the realities of Fawn's migraines is that I always have to be pretty close. He can get a headache at any point and I can get a phone call from school to go get him. So field trips present their own hurdles. Not only does the school bus cause motion sickness which may contribute to his headaches (he got a terrible migraine after his first ride on a school bus), but someone has to have his medication handy. So, I've accompanied Fawn's class on their field trips this year. And for the last trip -- way down 280 to Old Baker Farm -- I actually drove him myself. We followed the bus and while I hated that he was missing out on social time with his friends, I was soaking up some one-on-one conversation with my big boy.

I had been to Old Baker Farm in the fall to do the pumpkin patch field trip but never in the spring. What a treat! It was adorable. We watched chicks hatching, planted sunflowers, went on a hayride, got corn off the cob to feed the animals, and got to pet all sorts of animals. And that was before lunch! Fawn seemed to really enjoy himself (though he did not so much like sharing his mom with his friends -- it was a hot, long day and the kindergarteners needed some TLC). It was fun to be there to experience it with him and to spend more time with his precious teacher and the other Kindergarten teachers. 

On the way home, Fawn was done. So hot and tired; it was one of the hottest days of the year and we were at the farm, in the sun all day long. We stopped for a milkshake at Sonic and then I took him on home. A fun day with a great kid! 

Chickens hatching.

So stinking cute.

Hayride.

Davis Divers 2014-2015.

Corn.

He loved the turkey and tried his hardest to make gobble.

Mrs. Davis was a trooper and held the baby animals.

The kids were enamored.

King of the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment