Fawn turned seven on January 26. I can still remember finding out that I was pregnant with him, finding out that he was a he and not a she, and going into labor with him like it was yesterday. But yet, it also seems like a lifetime ago because I simply do not remember life without him.
I am so proud of the big boy he is becoming. He is absolutely thriving in first grade. His reading skills have skyrocketed. While he can read to himself at night (even chapter books!), I love that he will still sit with me and cuddle over picture books. I know these days are waning so I cherish them. He's a little math genius and loves playing addition war with me. He is a curious, inquisitive little fellow and I just love looking at the world through his eyes. He loves when Miss Annie comes to first grade, Genius Hour, gym class, and art.
He loves hunting and sports -- he is all boy! Baseball is his favorite sport, but he also enjoys soccer and can't wait to play football. He intends on replacing Derrick Henry at Alabama. He didn't play basketball this year, but he really enjoys watching basketball on TV and keeping his own score (with Roman numerals). He indulges me by cheering on the Tar Heels. His favorite color is green, but by his wardrobe you would think his favorite color was neon. He wears lots of Under Armor, but also loves jeans with a polo and his Alabama belt. He's still sporting a grown-out buzz cut, and I feel like that will be his haircut for a good while. His favorite foods are popcorn chicken, grilled cheese, and pizza. He will eat absolutely any fruit and most veggies, though broccoli and carrots are his current favorites. We don't watch much TV, but he usually chooses Wild Kratts, a nature/animal documentary, Tom and Jerry, or Transformers (old school or new age). He will still play with toys -- Legos are his favorite, but he hasn't abandoned his beloved Transformers either. He (and his little sidekick Small Fry) went through a Pokemon phase in the summer which I could barely stand. But, as I knew it would be, it was just as quickly over (though it seems to be creeping back in....). He really enjoys art and drawing if I can get him to sit still! And, he loves his scooter and bike.
Speaking of bikes, he got a new (neon!) 20" for his birthday. He is proud and it is such a big bike. I mean huge...for a big kid! We got it the week before his birthday and let him ride it as soon as we got it. As for his actual birthday, he wanted Heavenly Donuts at his school. They made us our special order -- glazed donut and vanilla icing, no sprinkles. Small Fry and I took them to BWF at lunch time with some fun baseball napkins. Fawn passed out the treats (he was so sweet and polite!) and all of Fawn's friends sang to him. It was really fun to be there to share in that. That night, we had family over to celebrate Fawn. His request was a sports party with Davenport's Pizza and cookie cake. We had a wonderful meal, opened fun presents and ate delicious cake to celebrate our favorite seven-year old. Fawn got the deep sea Lego helicopter from Mimi and Pops, Bass Pro hunting/fishing toys from Lulu and Doc, a magic set from Aunt C, and real walkie-talkies from Uncle Ben and Aunt Ally. Small Fry surprised Fawn with some Imaginext Power Rangers and a Power Ranger Dino. Let me tell you what really happened....Fawn got a Power Rangers Dino for Small Fry's birthday (February 8) and looked so wistful and longing that I realized it was a great gift for Small Fry to give his big brother. Let me tell you, Small Fry absolutely loved picking out the blue ranger and his dino for his big brother. He was so proud! Since we'd already done the bike, Fawn just got a few small presents from us: books (of course!), a Robobug (he constructed his own robotic bug -- bizarre but he loved it!), a detective set, and a pretend shaving set. Small Fry got a shaving set too -- they just love those, and they tell me that they really need to shave their whiskers. Hilarious! Fawn absolutely loved his birthday. And it was headache-free -- I think keeping it low key was a great idea!
Speaking of headaches, they are so much better (knock on every surface known to man -- and Praise the Lord!). Fawn has been an absolute trooper with the diet. The vast majority of the time he doesn't fuss or feel sorry for himself. There are other occasions that are more difficult (I'm looking at you, Halloween, Valentine's Day, Easter, and birthday parties). But, he has shown incredible resilience, grace, and understanding for such a young child. I can see that God has used this experience to make him more empathetic. And, wow, he's the best patient ever. Sadly, I think compared to a terrible migraine, normal kiddo sicknesses pale in comparison. So when he stays home from school for a cold or virus, he is super easy and loving. We are so thankful for the progress in his health. We have had some really tough moments over the last year, but we have survived and he has thrived. We pray for more progress and eventually a headache-free Fawn.
Fawn has held my whole heart since January 26, 2009. Although I miss my baby, my toddler, my preschooler, my kindergartener, I am completely in love with and in awe of my SEVEN-year old. He is serious and thoughtful, but can laugh, joke, and be silly with the best of them. He loves life, especially all the adventures that life brings. He is a mini-version of his father in so many ways, but I also see glimpses of myself in his personality. His teachers and other parents always remark to me that he is so kind to his peers, and that is really what I've deeply wanted for him -- to treat others with the love of God. We couldn't be more proud of the boy he is or more excited to see what's around the corner for him. Happy, happy birthday sweet Bub! We love you NO MATTER WHAT, FOREVER and ALWAYS.
(PS, your mother is technologically-challenged so pictures will follow)
No comments:
Post a Comment