Friday, July 1, 2011

Mommy Lunch.

No, I'm not talking about "ladies who lunch."  Though that is a nice fantasy about life as a (mostly) stay-at-home mom, I'm thinking that's not even a viable option until one has school-age kiddos.  I mean between the nap schedule and the difficulties horrors of taking a toddler out to eat, Fawn and I rarely make an appearance at lunch with friends.

So, we either eat at home or pack a picnic for the park, zoo, pool.  Let me tell you, I've had my share of sandwiches in the last two and a half years.  I've been trying to expand my lunch food the past couple months and wanted to share my ideas.  The criteria: 1. easy, 2. quick to prepare, 3. semi-healthy, 4. yummy.

Banana and PB Burrito
You need: a large tortilla, peanut butter, a banana, granola, vanilla yogurt, and honey.  Spread the tortilla with a thin layer of peanut butter.  In a bowl combine, sliced banana, granola, vanilla yogurt to coat banana and granola mixture, and a squirt of honey.  Place banana/granola mixture on peanut butter-topped tortilla, wrap up like a burrito and enjoy!  These stay together great for a picnic if you wrap tightly with aluminum foil.  I'm sure these would be great with some berries thrown in too!

Greek Yogurt Parfait
You need: plain Greek yogurt, granola, a lot of berries, and honey.  In a bowl layer equal parts yogurt and berries.  Top with granola and a squirt of honey.

Hummus Tostada
You need: a tortilla, hummus, salad greens, tomatoes, lemon juice, balsamic or other Italian vinaigrette, and taco sauce.  Make dressing by combining 1/4 cup of taco sauce with 2 T of vinaigrette and 1 t of lemon juice (this will make plenty for multiple meals).  Broil tortilla in oven until crisp on one side, flip and repeat.  Top tortilla with hummus.  On top of hummus make a big salad with the lettuce and tomato.  Drizzle on dressing.  If you want to make this "to go", skip the broiling step and wrap it all up like a veggie burrito.

Pepper Burrito
You need: a tortilla, hummus, and sliced green, yellow and red bell peppers.  Spread hummus on the tortilla and fill burrito with as many pepper slices as will fit.  Wrap up and enjoy!

Okay, I know there were a lot of ingredient repeats (I'm a creature of habit!) -- but this is what I've been enjoying on these hot summer days for lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment