We started Small Fry's life with a bang -- a super-quick, chaotic, memorable delivery. Other than that entry into life, he's been a pretty laid back little fellow. He loves to snuggle -- as does his mommy -- so we make a good team. He is happy to accompany Fawn and me wherever we go; he doesn't mind the car seat, stroller, or any of my numerous baby slings. In his first month of life, he made multiple trips to the zoo and Overton Park as well as a trip to Triangle Park and even Chick-Fil-A. He really hasn't slowed us down. Yes, it takes longer to get out of the house in the morning (and into the car, out of the car, and into our destination...basically life just takes longer). And, yes there are the speed bumps along the way (outfit changes due to spit up, diaper changes, nursing sessions). But, my overwhelming fear that Fawn's life would drastically change in that we would be home bound was simply that -- a fear. It is definitely not our reality.
I do have the lovely early Spring weather to thank for that too. It's been gorgeous, hasn't it? And, another huge thank you to our "village" who support us and allow for mommy and Fawn dates. Small Fry is happy to hang out with one of his grandparents for a couple hours so I can take Fawn on his own special outings (library, Tot Lot, Mr. Eddie for a much-needed haircut). More on the "village people" as we like to call them in a later post...they truly have been life-saving (plus, they make life more fun!).
Small Fry started his life with jaundice. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things and we avoided the lights (yeah!). But, we spent multiple mornings at the pediatrician's office for heel pricks (poor baby!). And, I was instructed to nurse around the clock -- literally as much as Small Fry would take. We got great results in terms of the jaundice, but Small Fry now believes it is perfectly acceptable to eat for five minutes here and there...constantly. Any hopes of being on a feeding schedule are just going to have to wait for now. I know we'll get there.
Small Fry also has a sensitive little tummy. I'm just not used to it because Fawn had no tummy troubles to speak of. I can literally count the number of times Fawn spit up on one hand. Not my newest angel. It's definitely getting better, but it literally hurts my heart to see him grimace in pain. And it makes me feel guilty since I'm breastfeeding him...I worry is it something I'm eating or doing? I have cut out all caffeine, dairy and citrus from my diet which has also helped we think. I know our tummy troubles are minor compared to those experienced by some families and for that I'm so thankful. I also know that things will continue to improve as Small Fry grows.
Despite these minor bumps in the road, we've had a great month. Small Fry continues to impress us with his level of activity for a newborn. He has already rolled over from front to back and back to front. He's pretty good at holding his head up. And, the nurse who was responsible for the multiple heel pricks commented that he had the strongest legs of any baby she'd ever seen (I can second that they are strong -- he could kick me in utero and make me throw up!). He's got the cutest grin -- I think he's going to be a total ham. And he really is just such a love. He wants nothing more than to be snuggled up against me or wrapped in my arms. I'm taking all the snuggles now that I can get because I know these sweet days are fleeting.
Though the days (and especially nights) can seem long...the weeks are absolutely flying by. It breaks my heart to know I can't stop time or at least slow it down. We always said we wanted two kids -- and now our family feels complete. But there's something about knowing this is the last little one who will wake me up in the middle of the night or pee all over me when I change his diaper that hurts. All I can do is cherish this little boy, this precious gift...and remember these moments.
No comments:
Post a Comment