Saturday, July 21, 2012

Small Fry's Baptism.

Last Sunday, we were blessed to share in Small Fry's baptism.  It was a joyous day celebrated by our family. 



The boys demonstrated almost angelic behavior defying my fears of Small Fry spitting up all over our pastor or having a major diaper blowout in Buck's family's heirloom gown or Fawn having a bathroom accident or saying something totally inappropriate at the front of the church. 

I know I worried about really insignificant things too much (including my boys' behavior and bodily fluids!) when all that really mattered is the spiritual significance of the event: God marking His child and sealing him with His covenant.  Baptism is certainly a reminder that "my" children are not my own, but God's.  He has entrusted me to care for them, which is truly a blessing.  But, they are His children.  And, praise God they are!  I cannot imagine parenting in this fallen world without the security of the promises of Christ and His grace and salvation for Small Fry and Fawn.  In entrusting Buck and me with His children, Baptism reminds us that as parents we are to set a godly example for our children -- to teach them God's word and to pray with them and for them.  What an awesome responsibility -- one that we certainly fall short of but also strive for.

Small Fry is truly a blessing from above.  We are so honored that God chose us to parent this precious little one.


The actual Baptism.  Small Fry wasn't fazed by the water.

After Small Fry was baptized, Buck walked him around the sanctuary with Fawn and I following behind (hand-in-hand) while the congregation sang "Jesus Loves Me."  This is a new tradition at our church and I tear up every time I see it.  Another one of my insignificant worries was that I would sob during this part.  I held it together -- barely.  I didn't make eye contact with friends and mentors in the congregation because I knew I would lose it and I couldn't really sing the words myself.  But, my heart swelled with joy as I heard my favorite three-year old's voice singing every word as he held my hand.  It was so special!


A family moment when the Baptism was over.

The four of us headed home -- Small Fry was on the brink.  I think a bit overwhelmed.  Plus he was soaking wet and tired.  Fawn was eagerly anticipating the receipt of his prize for good behavior -- plus, we just wanted to make him feel special when the whole day was really centered around Small Fry.  I quickly nursed Small Fry and put him down for a catnap, while Buck started getting ready for the brunch.  Fawn was perfectly content with his new Spiderman.

We were so proud of our big boy!

We pulled off a lovely brunch, if I do say so myself, with the help of our village.  My mom painted a beautiful sign that will soon hang in Small Fry's nursery:




My mother-in-law graciously offered to arrange all of the flowers -- they were lovely.  My house looked like a garden!


My sister-in-law helped me with set-up on Saturday.  I even got out the glue gun to make a sweet burlap cross for the front door (I'm thinking of re-painting the polka dots in red and green for Christmas):


As for the menu, we kept it simple: mimosas and cranberry lemonade to drink; breakfast casserole; salad; and sweet goodies (cinnamon rolls, mini coffee cakes, and donut holes).  It was a wonderful meal of fellowship and celebration which we were honored to share with our amazing families.

So blessed to be his mommy.

My prayer is that Buck and I faithfully fulfill our Christian duty as parents in the years to come and that Small Fry grows to know and love Christ, to accept His grace, and to be hopeful in Christ's promises.  We love you sweet boy and are so thankful for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment