Friday, January 11, 2013

Month 11 Update.

This month has been all about movement.  Small Fry is walking -- started about a week after his ten month birthday.  While I wasn't ready for my baby to be upright (just because I'm not ready to admit I have a toddler!), he is so excited and proud of himself.  Big brother Fawn is super-proud too and loves to help Small Fry practice walking.  Small Fry still crawls a good percentage of the time, but he makes progress and gets braver each day.  Along with the walking came a cute, yoga pose that Small Fry loves to practice -- downward dog.  Hilarious -- I've got to capture it on film.  One of these days he's just going to flip over and do a somersault. 


Of course the highlight of the month was Christmas.  Small Fry was clueless but picked up on Fawn's excitement and cues.  He had a great day playing with wrapping paper and new toys and being loved on by his loved ones.  He loved the Christmas tree, which was gated off to protect the tree.  Every time he got close to it he started ripping off ornaments and simply tossing them around the room.  Fawn had his school break and the three of us had a great time hanging out with some long, lazy days at home in pajamas.  Small Fry's favorite past time continues to be throwing balls.  He loves to play catch and it actually pretty good at it (you know, for an eleven month old).  He has figured out that while balls are the easiest thing to throw, his throwing prowess is not limited to round spheres.  He now throws whatever he can get his hands on -- any toy, anything he can find in a cabinet, and my least favorite of his "tricks", the silverware out of the dishwasher while I'm trying to load it.  He just reaches in and throws it backward over his shoulder.  Clearly, I am no longer attempting dishes with Small Fry under foot.


'Tis the season for sickness.  Poor baby got his first ear infection the week before Christmas.  So sad -- he was pitiful, running a fever and screaming.  Thank goodness the antibiotics kicked in pretty quickly but that brought its own tummy troubles.  Part of me was relieved to know how Small Fry reacts with an ear infection as he is a constant ear puller so that "sign" isn't much help.  He loves to tug on his ears -- especially his right ear.  So much so that people are constantly telling me that he is pulling his ear and might have an ear infection.  I'd taken him to the doctor several times for the ear pulling -- really just asking them to make sure he didn't have an ear infection (they may or may not think I'm crazy) -- and was assured each time that his ears looked fantastic.  This time was WAY different so I know what a true ear infection looks like in him.  But, unfortunately, we weren't done with the month's sickness with the ear infection.  Nope -- the stomach bug tore through our house right after New Year's.  Yuck -- and poor Small Fry got the brunt of it.

Between the antibiotics and the stomach bug, Small Fry's appetite has taken quite a hit.  I can barely get the child to eat anything -- he is relying almost solely on breast milk for sustenance these days.  I know this is totally fine but hope we can get back on the adventurous eating bandwagon.  He was really taking to spices and flavors -- pesto, tomato sauce, taco seasoning, chili.  It was impressive!

Small Fry is waving up a storm.  When we leave a store after running errands, he waves goodbye to everyone he passes -- workers, other customers, you name it.  It is so cute and always turns heads.  He has also started clapping and thinks it's pretty funny.  He hasn't been "talking" as much this month -- instead focusing his energy on his new found mobility.  I remember this back-and-forth with Fawn.  Some weeks were all about verbal development, some were all about physical...and it was back-and-forth through the first couple years of his life.  Babbling, learning to sit up, learning to crawl, sign language, learning to walk, talking, stringing words together, learning to skip and jump, etc.  He is picking up more on baby sign language.  I was much more diligent teaching Fawn sign language, but so goes the life of a second child.  Small Fry's favorite sign is all done.  He uses it mostly for food but will do it when he's done with just about anything.

In other news, separation anxiety is peaking around here...if Small Fry's grown-up of choice is out of sight he literally freaks out.  It's totally normal, sweet, a great sign of attachment, but oh so frustrating at times (like when a grown-up needs to say use the restroom or grab a jacket on the way out the door).  And, sleeping, why would anyone need sleep?  I'm only kind of kidding.  I can't blame the poor fellow though between his ear infection, stomach bug, and all of the tummy ramifications (read: multiple nighttime diaper changes) I wouldn't be able to sleep either.  I'm hoping we can get stabilized, get him eating better, and then deal with the sleep issues.  For now, I just look and feel tired.  Though I assumed I'd be sleeping by the eleven-month mark, it's definitely not the end of the world....


...because I am blessed with the sweetest, most joyful baby boy I could ever hope or pray for.  It's been quite a journey, a great almost-year.  And, I fall more in love with my little fellow each day.  I am loving getting to know his personality.  I feel like I know Fawn inside and out and am just scratching the surface with Small Fry.  So while it is bittersweet to be planning a first birthday party, it's also so exciting to know what's ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment