When we pulled back into home to settle in for the afternoon we arrived to a street full of emergency vehicles -- fire trucks, ambulances, power trucks, gas company trucks. I saw my next door neighbor outside and she filled me in -- because of the super-soggy ground a massive tree behind her house had fallen over, knocking over not only the power lines but also the power pole. So we were without power and would be through the afternoon while they got the lines back up. Also, the tree falling had caused a fire in the gas line -- hence the emergency vehicles. Although I didn't fear for our safety, I decided to head to my parents' house for the afternoon -- they were both at work but have a nursery that Small Fry could nap in. I didn't know what kid-friendly food they had in their fridge so I picked up chicken fingers for Fawn and we headed their way. Driving over the snow was already falling!
Eating lunch at Mimi and Pops' house.
I put Small Fry down for his nap to much protest -- he's just not used to sleeping anywhere but our house. He's only napped a handful of times at my parents' house. Before I knew it he was up again. I hadn't heard from my neighbor that the power was on but decided we should head back home anyway. My parents have a super-steep driveway and I did not want to get stuck. Plus, Fawn was chomping at the bit to get outside and while I had a jacket, mittens, and hat I didn't have any change of clothes for when he came back inside. So we packed up and headed out.
View driving up my parents' driveway.
When we got to the street I realized the roads were not in good shape at all. It was a very scary 1.5 miles home -- lots of sliding and grinding brakes. I called Buck approximately fifteen times totally freaking out. He was exasperated, reminding me there was nothing he could do from the confines of his office to help me. I suggested I leave the car on the side of the road and stroll home; he did not think that was the best idea. We made it without any real issue (though I was in tears -- and the boys were laughing hysterically both from the "fun" ride and my tears). Looking back, we should have definitely stayed put until the snowing was over and the roads melted. But I didn't know that at the time.
We didn't have power inside, so we suited up to play outside.
Making a snowman all by himself.
Snowball fight!
Finished the snowman -- it was adorned with arms, but no eyes, nose or mouth. He was so proud.
Buck FINALLY got home from work, and reported with a smirk that the roads were fine. (Of course they were -- the temperatures had increased and melted the snow!) Shortly thereafter our power returned. Buck and Fawn went back outside "to mess up other people's snow." Lovely. Small Fry and I warmed up inside -- he was a trooper during our first play time outside -- I tried to keep him snug against me in a baby carrier but his little face, hands, and feet still were pretty chilly.
While Buck and Fawn were outside playing, Buck asked Fawn about the ride home. "Mommy is not a good driver. She cried. It was funny." Thanks for the support kiddo!
Buck and I actually had a work function to attend that night and the roads were fine so out we headed. I was comforted by the fact that the other wives had similar experiences with their husbands -- all of whom were working in office buildings during the bad road time instead of driving kids around. The husbands continued to insinuate that we were all crazy or really bad drivers and that the roads were never bad. We gave each other knowing glances that only women can deliver.
Snow Day -- the morning after.
Our yard was still covered with snow the next morning. Fawn's school was delayed and Small Fry was napping so we headed back out for more fun.
All of our camo really does come in handy.
As Buck says, "It was real and it was fun. But, it wasn't real fun." Bring on Spring!
No comments:
Post a Comment