Small Fry is talking more and more. He tries to call Fawn "brother" but it comes out more like "bubba" or "bub". I think it's precious and hope some sweet brother nickname sticks! He has called my dad by name several times -- "Pop" -- he can't seem to add the "s" on the end. He is really trying to sing. We listen to the same several CDs over and over in the car and he tries to hum the melodies of some of the catchier tunes. He is the most vocal at meal time, with his favorite word being "no" (of course). He will put a bite of food in his mouth and if he doesn't want it he will remove it, tell me no and proceed to throw all of it onto the floor. He also says "more" and "done". He loves to say "hey", and has started seeking out my phone to pretend to talk on it -- saying "hey" and "bye bye". Fawn has taught Small Fry how to play swords or fighting or something and how to say "hiya". Hilarious and a sign of things to come.
He is learning to throw a temper tantrum with the best of them. I think I've got another strong willed love bug on my hands. So many of his tendencies bring me back to memories of Fawn at this age. At least I know they are all short phases and before you know it you have a communicative preschooler on your hands. Right now we're in the throws of exhibiting control over what he eats -- while I know he likes tons of foods because I can get him to eat just about anything when hungry, he is very much demonstrating that I can't make him eat anything. He also hates to change locations -- coming inside from outside causes major angst as does leaving a park or the zoo. And, he's become a terror at the library -- pulling books off the shelves quicker than I can re-shelve them, climbing on the computer stools and running in the opposite direction. (Now I remember why I started going to the library at night or on the weekends when Fawn was this age!)
He loves the water. With the warmer temperatures, we've been playing in the baby pool and water table many afternoons. We've also been swimming in an indoor pool several times. He is happy as a lark and way too brave. I'm just thankful he's not scared of water! He's getting braver on playgrounds too -- climbing on just about anything and attempting slides by himself (only he tries to unsuccessfully walk down them).
We left the boys to go to one of Buck's cousin's weddings this month, and it was my first night away from Small Fry. I didn't shed a tear -- knowing that my parents had things completely under control and that we would be gone less than 24 hours. He did great, and it was good practice for our upcoming tenth anniversary trip. One reason he did great and it was easy is because he is finally sleeping through the night. He took his pretty time to get to uninterrupted sleep, but now that he's there he's doing great (aside from the pre-6 a.m. wake-up that is!).
We love our little boy so much! It's a pleasure to watch him grow and turn into his own person more and more each day.
Outdoor play time.
Happy boy, infectious smile.
Toddler running.
And then somebody made me come inside and I threw my body down on the ground.
Even mad, I'm completely adorable.
(**Update** -- I was a bit distracted drafting this post as it was the night before Fawn's surgery. I failed to mention he got his seventh tooth! Growing up!)
No comments:
Post a Comment