Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mosquito 1, Small Fry 0.

My dad came over on a Thursday night to help me set up a scanner/printer on my laptop (technologically savvy, I am not).  After serving as my own personal "Geek Squad", he helped me feed the boys dinner and then headed home.  Buck was still at work and it was a really pretty evening, so after we said goodbye to Pops I told the boys they could play in the front yard for a bit.  A few minutes into play time, I noticed a mosquito on Small Fry's face.  I swatted it away and took the boys inside for baths and bed, not thinking a thing about the mosquito.  I mean it's summer.  In Alabama.  Bugs happen.

But, the next morning, when Small Fry looked like this, I thought about that stinking mosquito.


I talked to the doctor's office and administered Benadryl before waiting the requisite hour for it to take affect.  We went to Magic Muffins for breakfast as a treat before a babysitter arrived for the morning.  It was the first time this summer I'd lined a sitter up to get some work done.  Of course we would have a minor medical emergency the one morning I had a sitter and a big work project!  Just the way part-time working seems to go!  It's teaching me to roll with the punches.

Small Fry's eye was getting worse, not better so we were instructed to see the doctor.  I left Fawn with the sitter and my mother-in-law pitched in to pick him up when the sitter had to leave because I was still at the doctor.  By the time we got to the doctor's office (where we waited more than an hour before being seen, as I panicked about Small Fry's eye) my little buddy looked like this:


By this point, Small Fry's eye was hot and he was clammy.  The left side of his face was also starting to swell.  The doctor said, "I don't want to upset you but you need to be scared."  Uh oh.  Not what you want to hear.  She was worried about the swelling/pressure on the eye and showed me how to check his eyeball.  You can imagine how much he loved that.  She was also concerned about the apparent infection and put Small Fry on ten days of antibiotics.


Two hours later, when we finally got home from the doctor and pharmacy, Small Fry looked like this.  Getting worse by the minute.  I was one nervous mama, but knew he needed sleep and rest so his body could fight the infection.  While I really needed to work on my project, I was so worked up I couldn't think straight.  So instead of reviewing regulations, I watched HGTV while Small Fry snoozed.  

After his nap I headed to my mother-in-law's to pick up Fawn.  It was obvious that Small Fry just felt puny.  I got teary on the way home just feeling bad for my baby and wanting to make it better.  Sweet soul Fawn asked me what was wrong.  I told him I just wanted Small Fry's eye to get better and for him to feel better.  Fawn suggested that we should pray, and I heard his voice call up to the heavens:  Dear God, Thank you for all of our blessings.  You are our great healer.  Will you please heal Small Fry and make his eye better so Mommy doesn't have to cry?  Okay?  Thanks.  So, then I was crying for two reasons -- Small Fry's health, and Fawn's sweetness.


We let Small Fry stay up late until he crashed because the doctor told us that if he was upright it would get better faster.  This is right before bed and he was looking better.  What a relief!  We had been told by the doctor that if it got any worse after the first dose of antibiotics we needed to head to Children's Hospital for IV antibiotics.  That was not on our ideal "to do" list -- while we of course would have taken him if he needed it, we didn't want him to have to go through that and were so thankful that things started improving.


The next morning the swelling was much better.  The red and purple infection was still there, but Buck and I could both breathe a sigh of relief that we had avoided a hospital stay.  So, we headed back to Magic Muffins.  When Small Fry will eat nothing else, he can always be counted on to eat an apple mini muffin.  We needed to fill him up to absorb the yucky medicine!

It's still summer.  And, it's still Alabama.  But, I am now a bit freaked out by the bugs.  I'm hoping this scenario doesn't repeat itself.  A happy ending, but a scary few hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment