Monday, August 19, 2013

One Year Countdown.

One year from now, I'll be dropping this precious one off at kindergarten:

Unbelievable.  

I can honestly say that at the one year countdown neither of us is the least bit ready. Fawn has declared that he doesn't like "going to school squished together".  Translation: he does not like going to school on back-to-back days.  Monday-Wednesday-Friday he can handle; he'd just like to be home on the "in between" days. And while I've tried to talk up the upcoming start of his 4K year, and how fun it will be to see his friends four days a week, he is not excited.  

I've got mixed emotions about the upcoming year of preschool.  Ready for some structure and consistency in our days.  Sad to leave the carefree days of summer behind.  But, I have nothing but anxiety and sorrow at the thought of Fawn starting kindergarten in a year.  Seeing all of the "first day" Facebook posts this morning made my stomach churn.

I love all the fun things we can do together as Fawn gets older -- it's not that I want him to be a baby.  I am just so sad at the thought of all the time he will spend away from this nest and from Small Fry and me.  I know it's a perfectly normal -- and wonderful! -- part of growing up.  I absolutely loved school and hope the same for him.

I'm glad we've got this one last year of no-pressure school.  My prayers for him are that he learns to love and thrive in his time there, that he continues to grow up and mature so next year he can embrace "real" school.  My prayers for me are that I can cling to the promise that God is taking care of Fawn and that He is making straight Fawn's paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment