Around lunch time, we met up at the hotel and put on our exercise gear for our afternoon at the Golden Gate Bridge. We took a bus to get to the bridge, and got to drive through other areas of the city we hadn't seen yet -- namely the Marina.
Pictures absolutely do not do the Golden Gate Bridge justice. When we rounded the corner and saw it, it took my breath away. We opted to get off the bus instead of riding it across the bridge. I'm so glad we did!
Amazing sight!
The weather was perfect.
I was in awe.
Selfie while walking across the bridge. We didn't go all the way across -- maybe about halfway. It was frightening up there.
Then we walked to the Pacific Ocean side of the bridge.
We took a walking path through Golden Gate National Recreation Area which led us back underneath the bridge.
All the way under the bridge is an old military Fort (Fort Point), dubbed as a Civil War era military fort. We went up inside and it was so cool. Though Buck pointed out that he doesn't remember much Civil War action out in California.
Last selfie, I promise.
Truly a wonder of the modern day world.
We grabbed lunch at the snack shop in Golden Gate National Park. Nicest national park I've ever been in. I thoroughly enjoyed my organic turkey sandwich inside the national park ... only in California!
Then we had to figure out how to get home. We examined the map of the bus routes back, then Buck made the executive decision that we would walk back. Please note: (1) San Fran is extremely hilly, (2) we were a bit tired from our trek through the city Friday, and (3) we'd already walked all around the Golden Gate Bridge and through the park (logging more than three miles). AND...it was 6.7 miles back to our hotel. But we did it -- the weather was glorious as we wound our way through Crissy Field, the Marina District, Fisherman's Wharf and Nob Hill. We really got a sense of the city not to mention plenty of exercise. We made it back to the hotel just in time to shower and get ready for dinner at The Zuni Cafe, which came highly recommended by a high school friend of mine and a local chef friend of Buck's. The meal did not disappoint...Pacific oysters, shrimp, squid, tomato salad, halibut, and duck. I did convince Buck to take a cab to dinner, but he insisted that we stroll back down Market Street after dinner to get back to our hotel (a mere mile, but still!). He does not love cabs or public transportation. He would much rather be on his own two feet.
Our last night in San Fran.
It was a great trip -- the city is beautiful and the views, oh my! That said, I was not sad to come home. I missed my boys something fierce. And, I missed the loveliness that is the south. I think I take for granted how kind, hospitable, and friendly southerners are. San Francisco may have the architecture, the scenery and fabulous food, but I'll take Birmingham every day. Home is where the heart is...and I left my heart in Birmingham.
No comments:
Post a Comment