Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas Eve.

We were so lucky that Buck didn't have to work on Christmas Eve and spent the whole day with us! We had a nice, normal day at home spending time with those we hold most dear. I cooked our now "traditional" Christmas Eve brunch which we ate in the dining room on Christmas china and towel-covered dining room chairs. I mean, they are still little children. It was special, though; and I think Fawn especially felt grown-up and special. Both boys devoured brunch -- especially the monkey bread.

We went to 4:30 Christmas Eve church. I really wanted Fawn to sit with us -- he is old enough for the Christmas Eve service, which is very hymn-heavy and light on a long sermon. And, I was terrified to send Small Fry to the nursery. Birmingham was filled with sickness -- the flu (which I came down with the Thursday before Christmas despite getting the flu shot!), strep throat, and a nasty stomach virus were all imposing their will. We had plans to all go to the farm after Christmas and not only did I want my little ones to stay well but I also did not want sick children to interfere with Buck's well-deserved vacation time. So armed with lollipops off to church we went. It was...interesting. Fawn did great -- except for the children's message. He did not want to be sitting at the front with the pastor and literally just stared out at Buck with a blank stare throughout. Small Fry wanted to be up there but there was no way I was letting my crazy kid run free in church. So during the children's message and the homily he and I paced outside the sanctuary while he delighted the ushers by running away from me and indulging in the water fountain. Then during the candlelight rendition of Silent Night I had to keep lighting our candle and blowing it out because he has no fear. We made it though -- and celebrated the birth of our savior with our little ones.

After dinner, we put out cookies for Santa and sprinkled reindeer food on the lawn, read some Christmas stories and tucked the little ones into bed. Fawn was insistent that everyone be quiet and go to sleep so Santa would come. Buck and I didn't quite follow his orders -- we enjoyed a delicious filet dinner just the two of us, in the dining room. Delicious date night on Christmas Eve -- another one of my favorite holiday traditions.







No comments:

Post a Comment