Sunday, December 8, 2013

Twenty-Two Month Update.

We will call this t-minus two months. For me, two years is the official end of "babyhood." Not only is that when I wean my little ones, but that's when I stop marking the months and the milestones with such deliberateness and precision. Time continues to fly by, and we are absolutely loving this stage with our precious angel Small Fry. I think the eighteen to twenty-four month stage is magic -- absolute and pure magic!

Small Fry is certainly a little character these days. Whether its wearing his camo boots every waking moment, or sporting Fawn's hand-me-down Alabama hat to Mother's Day Out, or rocking in upside down sunglasses at story time, he is a hoot. He is very particular -- coming into his own and making his opinion know about anything and everything. Food, clothes, pajamas, books, tv shows, you name it. He's got an opinion and attempts to impose his will. And, have I mentioned he's absolutely hilarious? He can keep just about anyone in stitches if he wants to.

He's still quite a physical little guy -- running, jumping, climbing -- doing just about anything to keep up with Fawn. He tries to ride our tricycle, though can't quite reach the pedals. He even tries to drive the Power Wheel -- disaster in the making! He loves to dance, clap and sing. He loves story time at the library -- especially the songs and dancing -- where he is quick to join in the fun. With that physicality has come some unfavorable toddler behavior in the form of hitting and kicking this month. It is usually accompanied by a "no."

Speaking of "no", it is his very favorite word. He will get in a "no" funk and say it to every single thing we ask him. He also loves to stick his bottom lip out and pout. Occasionally, he will cross his arms in front of his body to really prove his point. I know I shouldn't think it's cute, but oh my this child is just precious no matter what his mood. And, good gracious the moods (and mood swings!). If someone crosses Small Fry he holds a grudge and is slow to recover. Buck "angered" him one evening when he got onto him for climbing on the coffee table; Small Fry wouldn't look at him for the rest of the night. And, if Small Fry gets mad before a meal, he simply will not eat -- perhaps he doesn't want to give me the satisfaction. Who knows? It's maddening! But, I love his strong-willed nature and pray that it takes him far in life.

Small Fry is liking school more and more. His teachers report that he knows the names of all the other children in his class. His favorite part of the morning is playground -- no shocker there. Despite how much fun he is (apparently) having while he's there, he still loves to bring the drama at drop off. He ignores me as I carry him in, lunges into a teacher's arms where he cuddles up, acts sad, and refuses to make eye contact or speak to me while I say goodbye. He is all smiles at pick up, so I know he is having a ball!

His favorite tv shows are Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Curious George, and Paw Patrol. His favorite books are the Pete the Cat books, any Mickey Mouse book, and he's really enjoying our Christmas board books. Balls still top the list of favorite toys -- or really anything he can throw while commanding someone to "go fetch" (lovely) -- but he also loves trains, Legos, or anything of Fawn's. He's loving arts and crafts and spends time each day coloring on our easel, where he declares his creations "butiful" and ends his creativity with "ta da!"

He's talking up a storm -- in pretty clear sentences now. He's starting to say funny and sweet things. He loves to ask for a kiss but it comes out "piss" so that's pretty funny! And the sweet thing can count -- to the mid-teens. How, I have no idea, but he can do it! Go Small Fry!

We had a bit of a health scare earlier this month. After yet another bout with croup (our sixth of 2013 by our count), I ended up at Children's Hospital one night because he was having trouble breathing. Before I had completed paperwork at the check-in, we were whisked to triage, and immediately admitted and bumped to a room. We were greeted in our room by a doctor, a nurse, and a therapist to administer a breathing treatment. His oxygen levels were low, and though I knew we were in good hands, I was scared. With the breathing treatment and steroids, we were able to get his breathing under control and were discharged with instructions to return if we ever heard those sounds again. The next day we reported to our ENT where I had to hold Small Fry down while they scoped his airway. It was not fun for anyone, but we received a good report that there is not a structural issue complicating matters. Small Fry is now on maintenance medicine every time he gets the slightest sniffle. It seems to be working, thank the Lord. The whole experience shook us up a bit and has made us more cautious about being out of town if Small Fry is the least bit sick. We do not want to be far from Children's Hospital! To that end, Small Fry and I hunkered down here after Thanksgiving instead of going to the farm with Buck and Fawn. Small Fry had a wheezy cough Thanksgiving day and we just couldn't risk it. We had some wonderful, quality Mommy and Small Fry time -- and I loved my days with my snuggle bug.

Small Fry, we love you -- every bit of you! We are so thankful for your health this season of Thanksgiving. Thank you for sharing your joy, your laughter, your tears and your life with us.

So big on the fort all by himself.

So cool in his shades.

So brave on a bike.

And just for laughs...Small Fry's first selfie.

No comments:

Post a Comment