Thursday, April 21, 2011

Big Buck Pie.

It has been forever since I posted a recipe -- so here's a Buck and Belle original that all three of us enjoyed last week.  For me, it's wonderful to make a meal that makes everyone happy (and full) instead of running around the kitchen like a short-order cook.

We call it "Big Buck Pie" -- you can call it Venison Quiche.  Yes, you read that correctly.  If you know me, you might think I'm not the type to embrace wild game.  You're right (in fact, one of my dad's most favorite family stories is how he tricked me into eating a venison burger when I was a child -- still not funny, dad).  But, I'm really trying to experiment and be open-minded because it's so healthy and FREE!  In fact, Buck and I are the modern-day hunter/gatherer family.  He hunts (or fishes) for the meat and I gather the rest of the ingredients at our neighborhood Publix.

Of course, you could make this with ground beef or sausage (but if you've got ground venison in your deep freezer that's begging to be eaten give it a try).

1 pound ground venison
4 eggs
1 package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
8 oz mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 pie crust

Brown ground venison in Italian seasoning to taste (we love Mr. P's, but any will do).  Drain excess fat.  Beat eggs and combine all ingredients.  Pour mixture into pie crust (it will seem very full -- it's a hearty quiche, but won't overflow).  Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Great for a light dinner or brunch.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment