I have to admit I was dreading Spring Break -- and not because Fawn would be home from school. That part I was actually looking forward to! There are two important reasons for me to love Spring Break -- Fawn's home and my mom is off work. But, since everyone in the state of Alabama (slight exaggeration, but pretty much everyone...) is on Spring Break the same week it's so hard to take kiddos anywhere because everywhere is packed. This year, though, seemed better than years past. Perhaps because I've learned my lesson in terms of expectations and where to take the little ones to not be bombarded by ridiculous crowds (i.e., it is insane to attempt McWane Center period and crazy to try the zoo on 1/2 price Tuesday).
Monday: Mom and I took the little ones to the Botanical Gardens in the morning for some exploring, strolling and a lunch picnic. The weather was gorgeous and it wasn't crowded at all! We capped off the picnic with a Doodle. Yummy!
Tuesday: Library time for puzzle playing, book reading, and choosing new library books. They had awesome vehicle/machinery puzzles and toys out, which Fawn loved. We were the only ones there (probably because there were no story times or events that week). Even the Children's Library desk which is usually manned by three or four librarians was occupied only by Miss Rachel (who happens to be Fawn's very favorite librarian). The conversation that took place:
Fawn: Miss Rachel, why are you the only one here?
Miss Rachel: That's a good question, Fawn.
Our library time was followed up by meeting sweet church friends at the Tot Lot. So very crowded, but still fun. We spent the afternoon at Overton Park with a different group of sweet church friends.
Wednesday: We braved the zoo at Fawn's insistence. Luckily, we got there right when it opened and played in the fountains before they were swamped. We met our neighbors -- who have two precious children close to Fawn's age -- a little later and enjoyed the morning at the zoo. It quickly got packed, though, so we headed home. We got out the baby pool in the afternoon for some at home fun (I think being in the zoo fountains made Fawn remember how much he loves the water!).
Baby pool...here we come.
Thursday: A group of Fawn's school friends gathered at Overton Park. He was so excited about this outing and was looking forward to it all week. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate for very long...but the fun continued at Chick-Fil-A where we ate lunch and let the boys run wild in the inside playground.
Friday: Art day with Mommy!!! The weather was still uncooperative, so Fawn and I painted Easter pictures, made foam sticker pictures, and dyed Easter eggs. Fawn loves him some arts and crafts and was thrilled to hang out in pajamas and be creative all morning.
I love the look of concentration while peeling the back off a dinosaur foam sticker.
Using his hands to retrieve the egg -- that's how he rolls.
All in all, a wonderful week! And, I have a much better attitude for future Spring Break staycations.
No comments:
Post a Comment