Monday, August 6, 2012

Pool Days.

We are so lucky to live close to my maternal grandparents for so many reasons.  Only one of those reasons is the beautiful (and did I mention heated?) pool in their backyard (surrounded by a gorgeous garden).  I spent my childhood summers swimming the days away at their pool (they moved into the house while my mom was pregnant with my little brother, so it's the only house of theirs I've ever known).  It's unbelievable to me that I'm now raising a family of my own less than a mile and a half from them -- and my boys are spending their summers the same way I spent mine.  I sometimes find myself waiting for someone to tell me not to run by the pool or to let my food settle before I go back in the water.  But then I remember that I'm the grown-up. 

I'm lucky to have other grown-ups around to help -- namely my grandmother and my mom -- because swimming with a three-year old and a baby is tough work.  There's all the gear to load up, the snacks or picnic lunch to pack, and juggling two kiddos in water.  I couldn't do it alone -- and it wouldn't be near as enticing to do it anywhere other than my grandparents' pool.  For me, it's one of the places that defines summer.

Gotta love Fawn's yellow goggles.  I'm so proud of my little swimmer.  He's done great this summer after two weeks of intense lessons.  While I generally encourage swimming wings (and they are a must if I've got both boys by myself), he is definitely able to swim all by himself (just ask him).  He jumping off the side of the pool and even the diving board solo too!  You go Fawn!
Fawn with my precious grandmother -- Mema.  She looks more like his grandmother than his great grandmother!  And although he runs circles around most, he's no match for this energetic lady.
 Happy fish.
Fat baby in a bathing suit.



No comments:

Post a Comment