Tuesday, February 5, 2013

You Win Some, You Lose Some.

Last Tuesday morning, I was excited to see that a new tooth appeared in Small Fry's mouth.  It was a long-awaited tooth.  And, I'm convinced caused our latest ear infection.  (I know that doctors say there's no correlation, but for both of the boys there seems to be some connection.)  We were up a tooth, and with the addition of a new antibiotic hopefully on the road to recovery from the ear infection.

And, then Tuesday evening.  I sent Buck upstairs (he was home early -- what a blessing!) with the boys to get them going in the bath while I cleaned the kitchen from dinner.  I heard screaming -- clear, loud, Small Fry screams.

When I got upstairs he was being comforted by his daddy, who reported that he fell walking around the bathroom and hit the side of the tub.  There was blood, not a ton, but we noticed immediately it was coming from his upper teeth.  We didn't really mess with him, but once he was calm proceeded to bathe the boys and move towards bed time.

Then I noticed -- while getting Small Fry ready for bed, I looked down at his now five teeth and noticed that one of his front two has a chip -- a prominent chip.  SERIOUSLY!?!?  Only boys, y'all.  Only boys can grow a tooth and chip one on the same day.

The bleeding continued on Wednesday, which prompted my phone call to our WONDERFUL pediatric dentist (Vestavia Hills Pediatric Dentistry -- we love Dr. Flynt).  They scheduled me an appointment to bring him in on Thursday, after Fawn's birthday party.

Small Fry did not like the dental experience, but I'm glad we went.  We came home with instructions to spoon feed him for two weeks and try to avoid a lot of chewing (yeah, right...keep a teething baby from chewing...that would take an act of God).  He has basically rejected the spoon feeding having been self-feeding for months now so we're just keeping things super-soft.  And, he's getting really irritated with me when I snatch things away from him that he's munching on.  But, we're trying to be as vigilant as possible without totally torturing him to try and help the gums behind the tooth heal.

I'll keep you posted...our follow-up at the dentist is in a couple weeks.  In the meantime, when we're not trying to spoon feed him or take toys away, he's back to his smiling self.


No comments:

Post a Comment