I am so glad they did! Catching up with old friends was wonderful for my soul. Buck and I had a blast -- a really great, fun time. And, I fell in love with Buck even more. Let me explain. While I could write pages and pages of the wonderful things about Buck, he would be the first to tell you that he's a creature of comfort. He was thrust out of his comfort zone -- to a group of my old friends I never see any more now coupled up with new spouses and boyfriends that were new to both of us. And these guys...they were nothing like Buck. Many were from New York or Chicago. They were not outdoorsmen or football fans. They were certainly not good ole boys (and Buck is the epitome of a good ole boy). They wore skinny pants, tight blazers and converse sneakers. Buck wore boots -- working boots for a farm. But not only did he roll with it -- he embraced it. He had fun, got to know the other guys, and opened himself up. I have not been prouder of him in a long time. So Buck, if you still read this blog, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Seriously. You amazed me!
Before you get a big head, one thing that didn't amaze me was your unwillingness to follow the speed limit. But, alas, I digress.
Friday night was spent at my friend Mary Owen's house in Chapel Hill where we ate pizza and caught up. Those of us that had left our kids at home met up with the guys at Top of the Hill for a fun trip down memory lane.
Saturday we went to the KD house -- it looked so beautiful. While in some ways it felt like a lifetime since I lived there, in other ways it felt like I walked through those halls and ate in that dining room yesterday. I got to glimpse at my old room and the memories -- they flooded. Still my starkest memory of that year in the KD house is September 11, 2001. I can remember watching the news coverage in the tv room surrounded by my nearest and dearest friends -- and somehow that it was better that we were all together. I can remember leaving the house to go to the Presbyterian church next door (where I attended as a college student) to pray. I can remember writing to Buck all my fears in the dark of my bedroom.
Some of my pledge sisters at the KD homecoming brunch.
Buck and me outside the KD house.
After the KD house, we went to a tailgate right by the bell tower. The beauty of Carolina never leaves you -- and it was a pretty fall day that didn't disappoint. Then it was the football game, and I think Buck was one of the most enthusiastic fans in the stadium. I had forgotten just how different it is than SEC football. We left early in the third quarter and headed back to Top of the Hill where we hung out and I got to meet up with dear friends from Dance Marathon -- I wasn't expecting to see them too but saw on Facebook that they would be there. (Darn that Facebook -- I want to hate it but it's things like this that make me realize it's value!) Buck and I then strolled back through campus where I saw my freshman year dorm. These places, these sights, they are part of me. They make up my story. And, I felt so complete being there again after such a long time.
At the tailgate.
Football Game (UNC v. UVA -- or the "nerd bowl" as Buck dubbed it).
Obligatory photo in front of the Old Well.
Saturday night was a cocktail hour and dinner, which was lovely -- good food, great company. The Alabama/LSU game was going on at the time. (Yes, Buck WILLINGLY CHOSE to miss the game to go to Chapel Hill with me. Have I mentioned I love this man?) Buck would check the tv and then check back into the dinner conversation -- he was a perfectly good sport and let his Roll Tide's be known throughout the restaurant.
We headed home Sunday -- with great memories and I'd like to think a renewed bond. It's great to be reminded where you've been.
No comments:
Post a Comment