We have developed the sweetest bedtime routine. Small Fry really looks forward to his reading now (thank goodness!). He loves to read anything by Eric Carl or Sandra Boynton, plus Dear Zoo, Hop on Pop, and a Mickey Mouse Halloween book we have. We mix it up some, but always try to include a couple of his favorites. Unlike Fawn who would sit on my lap and snuggle for as long as I would read to him, Small Fry likes his independence -- preferring most nights to sit in his own chair while I read. He can be quite the snuggler and still gives the best hugs, so it's not that he's not affectionate. There's just something about story time -- he sits by himself and listens. Too funny! When it's time to put him in his crib, he insists on hugs from me and usually Buck or Fawn also. Then he makes me kiss each of the stuffed animals (elephant, doggie, other doggie, kitty cat, bunny, giraffe, monkey) plus his blanket and a big stuffed ball goodnight. After this is complete, he finally lays down and insists that I "wub back". After a few minutes of back rubbing I can escape until morning.
Small Fry's newest obsession is socks! Now that it's a bit cooler here in Alabama, he is wearing socks and tennis shoes or socks and closed-winter Crocs. He loves his socks and wants to check and see if everyone else is wearing socks too. One thing he doesn't quite comprehend is that when socks are folded together in his drawer, there are two socks there. He always tries to pick two pair so he has the "ow one" ("other one"). In other clothing news, he hates a john-john and loves "separates". He totally loses his mind when I put him in a precious, southern, little boy outfit. I have to bring him off the brink with some sort of bribe -- like a lollipop or some gummies. He sure does look cute though!
Balls are still his favorite toys. He's a little southern boy saying "hut hut" every time he throws a ball these days. Every ball is a "baseball". And, when it comes to trucks, buses, things that move, every big vehicle is a "dump truck". Fawn finds it hilarious when Small Fry calls a school bus a "dump truck". He's trying!
While I know he is loving school based on the awesome feedback I get from his sweet teachers (Miss Wanda, Miss Dee and Miss Brittany), from how happy he is when I pick him up, and the funny things he says about school, this boy is so dramatic during drop off. Crying and begging me to "holg mama" ("hold mama"). I think it is a game because I have been assured that he stops the drama instantaneously. It still tugs at my heart strings, though.
Small Fry is still loving story time at the library. He's become much braver at the park -- wanting to try and do things that seem way too big for my "baby". He's loving time at the zoo -- preferring the monkeys, giraffes and elephants. Fawn is still his most favorite person in the entire world; he loves his brother something fierce and wants to be with him as much as possible. Don't get me wrong, they can and do fight. And, Small Fry knows how to bring the drama! But, it is just what I pictured and wanted for my little boys who will live life as brothers.
He is loud, loud, loud and funny, funny, funny! He keeps us all in stitches and on our toes. He is a little dynamo and wears us out. But, we cannot imagine our lives without his love, energy, and laughter. He is such a gift and truly completes us.
No comments:
Post a Comment