On Friday after school, we ran by the Junior League building to pick up his race packet and t-shirt. He thought he was big time and was really excited for the race to happen. On Saturday morning, we got dressed for the race and headed downtown with Mimi and Pops (who had agreed to watch Small Fry while I ran with Fawn). Fawn was not as excited -- first very mad about having to wear the number on his shirt, then complaining about how cold and windy it was, then mumbling about hunger. I was thinking this isn't going to go well. He perked up a bit when he saw the baseball stadium and realized he got to run around the inside three times!
Grumpy face.
Perking up a bit.
It was bright and beautiful.
Then it was race time! Fawn and I were at the front of the line ready to go. I was a bit worried he would get steamrolled at the beginning since so many of the kids were much older than he was. But, he did fine. And, then he was off -- he would run really fast, what he calls "turbo", then slow down to a jog and then back fast again. He held my hand for some of it, and when we got by the crowd he really ran fast -- he must like the cheering! We only stopped to walk twice, maybe for a total of 30 seconds. I am so proud of my little runner and I had so much fun with him.
Fawn and Vulcan.
Fawn and the UAB Blazers mascot.
Success!
Fawn is so proud of his medal, which is cute. After the race we went to the other areas for jumpies -- a huge highlight of the day! I have to admit that I woke up with sore legs on Sunday. I am totally capable of jogging for quite a while. But, I do not often sprint -- his "turbo" speed. Wow! I could tell he was a bit sore too -- he said he didn't have leg cramps but his legs felt weird. It must not have been too bad though because he's already talking about his next race. Love this guy and love the fun things we get to do together!
No comments:
Post a Comment