Sunday, December 2, 2012

Let Us Give Thanks.

A belated Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours!  Another holiday in the books and it was a nice, relaxed time with family.

Always give thanks to God the father for everything.  Ephesians 5:20 

That was Fawn's memory verse for his preschool class in November.  He had a great time at school learning about Thanksgiving and getting ready for his Thanksgiving program.  His school calendar had a note for parents to ask our children about Indians and Pilgrims.  This is how that went down:

Me: Fawn, what's an Indian?
Fawn: An Indian is an Indian.
Me: What makes someone an Indian?
Fawn: You have to be an Indian to be an Indian.
(Repeat conversation with Pilgrim....I know he is learning things at school and having a blast.  I just hate that the typical male tendency to remain mum is starting so early!)

And as for the school Thanksgiving program, Fawn practiced his songs and was so excited about it.  Enter the Thursday night before the program.  Fawn, meet stomach bug.  Stomach bug, meet Fawn.  Poor angel.  I'm telling you it's the worst kind of sick with children!  So we obviously missed the Thanksgiving program.  He was pretty sad about it the day of but hasn't mentioned it since.  And, I did thirteen loads of laundry from Friday to Sunday getting things clean.  I kid you not!

The Wednesday night before Thanksgiving we had my family and extended family over for a pre-Thanksgiving meal.  We rotate Thanksgivings between Buck's family and mine.  For the first several years of our marriage we tried to be everywhere and do everything.  Absolutely exhausting with really no quality time spent with either family or as our own family!  So we've settled into a pretty good routine at least for Thanksgiving.  We eat with one family on Thanksgiving and have the other family over the night before Thanksgiving. 

My aunt from Kentucky and cousin from New York were here, which made the evening extra special since we don't get to see them very often.  I always try to cook non-Thanksgiving food so as not to compete with the yummy Thursday spread.  This year I made taco soup -- so easy, but everyone seemed to enjoy.  And my sweet sister-in-law brought a pumpkin pudding pie.  It was an especially great night for Fawn.  We put Small Fry to bed at his normal time (6:30) but since Fawn shockingly took a marathon nap Wednesday afternoon he got to stay up late with the grown ups.  He loved all the attention -- in particular he loved building Lego's with my brother (who is such a kid at heart). 

We ate a great Thanksgiving meal with Buck's family on Thursday.  They were so gracious to accommodate Small Fry's nap schedule.  We're still in the two-naps-a-day schedule which is great for Small Fry's happiness but difficult to schedule around.  We started the day early gathering at 10:30 so we could visit before the meal and then have Small Fry home for his afternoon nap.  We also got to celebrate my father-in-law's birthday and Buck's grandmother's birthday on Thanksgiving day.  My mother-in-law got the best chocolate cake from Dreamcakes for the celebration -- it was delicious! 

My big boys (Buck and Fawn) went to the farm, while my little angel and I finished up our Christmas shopping.  Yes it's completely done and I feel great!  They returned early on Sunday and we started a new tradition -- our own little family Thanksgiving Sunday night.  I did a turkey breast, made gravy from scratch (and it wasn't lumpy!), and per Buck's request also served sweet potato casserole, cranberry salad (thanks Dad for making us some -- it's THE BEST IN THE WORLD!), and pumpkin pie (thanks Mom for sharing two pieces).  I was thankful for the chance to love on my family by filling their tummies.

We are thankful!

Sweet boys Thanksgiving morning.
Love these three.
One thankful mama.
And a sweet Thanksgiving hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment