Monday, March 18, 2013

Breakfast Makeover Part One.

So we're eliminating processed foods as much as possible.  KEY WORDS: As much as possible! There are certainly occasions where they are necessary for convenience, but when possible I'm trying to build the time into my schedule to make things from scratch.  It's fun and has really reinvigorated my love of cooking.  Plus, it's really not that time consuming once you get in a rhythm.  And, I love, love, love knowing exactly what my munchkins are putting in their mouths.

Homemade Pancakes/Waffles
I used to love the ease of the box mixes (or even better the jugs you add water to and shake).  But, seriously, it may take an extra five minutes to do these from scratch.  And, they taste SO MUCH BETTER.  (And, what in the world are they putting in the box mixes to replicate real milk and eggs?  Frightening thought!)  Plus, they are super easy to freeze and use another morning -- just defrost in the microwave.

Enter, my grandmother's pancake recipe.  It whips up the lightest, thinnest (my fave!) pancakes in no time...and only one bowl so minimal clean-up.

1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 C. milk
1 1/8 C. flour

Mix, then add:
1 egg
1/4 C. milk

Continue to blend well.  Cook & enjoy!  

Note:  This batter is super-runny.  Sometimes I add an extra 1/8 C. flour to thicken it up.

And, not to leave Buck's family out, I have also been using this recipe from a cookbook his aunt made. It's delicious, but is a little more "involved."

Sift together and set aside (Let's be honest, I DO NOT sift...I've found mixing works great):
1 1/2 C. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt

Put in a bowl:
2 eggs
Beat well.  Add:
1 C. milk
3 Tbsp. melted butter

Add the flour mixture and beat.  Can be used for pancakes or waffles.

As for muffins, I already had several recipes that I love to make for the kids -- and really with muffins the possibilities are endless.  The boys love banana, apple, pumpkin, blueberry, and a peanut butter/banana flavor that I make.  I wrap leftovers individually and freeze for quick fixing on busy mornings.

And, then there's oatmeal.  Instead of the instant packets, we've been eating out of a huge container of quick oats.  (Talk about a huge money saver!)  As a caveat, I have NEVER seen Buck eat oatmeal, therefore I cannot get his clone (Fawn) to eat it either.  But, I love it as does Small Fry.  For basic oatmeal, I've been adding a bit of brown sugar and maple syrup.  And, to really kick things up a notch, I will add pureed pumpkin with cinnamon and nutmeg.

Breakfast cookies -- yep, breakfast cookies.  Start with this recipe.  Not one bit of fat in the recipe.  But, still so good for breakfast or a good snack.  You can be creative with it and add mix-ins to your heart's content.  My last batch was made with cinnamon chips -- delicious!

My morning favorite is banana bread.  I've been making one of Buck's family's recipes for years, but have tweaked it to reduce the sugar and increase the whole wheat.  The best part of this banana bread is its ease...you make it in your stand mixer.  Combine the ingredients in the order listed below and mix well after each addition.

1/2 C. butter (softened)
1/2 C. (scant) brown sugar and small spoonful of white sugar 
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 ripe bananas
1/2 C. sour cream
1 C. wheat flour & 1/2 C. white flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Spoon into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Up next on the breakfast makeover -- buttermilk biscuits, crescent roll dough, and scones.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment