The trip was more than food and relaxation -- it also had sentimental value. Buck's fraternity formal was always in New Orleans so we have great college memories from those trips. Although unspoken before the trip, we both believed we could enjoy Bourbon Street nightlife as thirty-two year olds. Not so. We realized immediately we were way too old -- and just in such a different place in life. But there is much more to that fabulous city than Bourbon Street -- and we enjoyed every minute of our getaway.
There were pay phones -- that actually worked! -- all over the French Quarter. Don't think I've seen a working pay phone since I've had children. Maybe I just don't get out much.
Night 1: Bubba Gump's. Total tourist trap but we went there on previous trips and went again for memory's sake. We had a great time and a really good meal -- lots of appetizers (craw fish, gumbo, shrimp mac and cheese) and great drinks.
Had to get a picture. I've got some hilarious pictures of us here as twenty-year olds.
Cafe DuMonde's for beignets and coffee.
Buck inhaling oysters at Felix's. (He topped off his oysters with some fried alligator. I went with the more traditional option of a shrimp po boy.)
Anniversary dinner at Revolution. AMAZING meal. Death by gumbo (quail stuffed with sausage and topped with gumbo broth), crab beignets, shrimp and grits, red fish. Great drinks and wine. The staff was amazing, if not slightly comical to us. We had three waiters for the evening -- all dressed to the nines and super attentive. I thought Buck was going to explode in laughter as one of them poured his Bud Light into a fluted glass.
A little anniversary treat from the pastry chef. We also ordered peanut butter ice cream for dessert that was delicious. They brought out a chest full of various pastries to end the meal but we were way too full to partake. I'm sure we missed out on some yummy goodies.
Morning two we returned to Cafe DuMonde's. We love coffee -- and it can't be beat.
So there was a bit of a work component to the trip -- Buck answered emails while we waited for lunch. I was really impressed by his ability to enjoy our time and not worry though!
Sandwiches at Johnny Po Boys. Buck had the alligator sausage po boy and I went with the muffaletta. Delicious but way too much food.
Do you see the rainbow over the Mississippi River? What a beautiful sight -- and especially poignant as we celebrated our anniversary. God is so faithful!
Taking in the calm of the Mississippi River.
Last dinner at Red Fish Grill. We were stuffed from our culinary adventures. Buck only had a half dozen BBQ oysters and I had a tomato salad. We did indulge in chocolate bread pudding. And, I discovered my new favorite cocktail -- a Tincho.
So blessed to get to spend some uninterrupted, quality time together in such a fun location. A huge thank you to our parents for each keeping a boy and to Buck's brother for watching our house and dogs. I'm ready to start planning our next getaway!
No comments:
Post a Comment