Monday, October 14, 2013

Covenant at Alpine Camp.

Fawn, Buck and I went to our church's family camp at Alpine Camp in early October. It was a fabulous weekend, and I hope we can make a family tradition out of attending this family retreat with our church.

Buck grew up going to Alpine Camp, spending eight summers there. I have been several times, most memorably with my fifth grade class for a week. Buck was so excited for the weekend -- he even got out his old Alpine t-shirts and CD (which he made Fawn and me listen to on the drive to camp).

Small Fry spent the weekend with my in-laws. He was just a bit too young to enjoy it and his nap schedule would have really slowed us down. I know he had much more fun hanging out in Birmingham. While we were only away for 48 hours, I really missed my little buddy.

We drove up to camp on Friday afternoon. We were one of the first families there and after getting settled in our cabin (Mountain #15), we followed our fearless leader around for a tour.













We had dinner in the dining hall on Friday night followed by ice breakers and music in the gym. After some praise songs, we headed outside for games. Poor Fawn slipped on the wet grass during the relay and sweet thing was so embarrassed that he fell. It just broke my heart. I know it will be one of many stumbles -- both literally and figuratively -- in his life. And, I know that it was likely the most minor of them all. But, to see him embarrassed and sad just mad my heart hurt. I was sad for him, but so proud that he got up and continued on, finishing his part. I told him that I was so proud of him for getting up when he fell down. And, I mean it. The night ended with donuts (just what Fawn needed after a dinner of shredded cheese and Oreo's -- it was nacho night and Fawn doesn't like Mexican food). He was so tired when the night ended and fell asleep almost right away. He fell out of his bed just before midnight -- and slept through the whole thing.

Saturday morning brought a devotion, which the boys attended while I got ready, breakfast, more fellowship time in the gym, and games outside for the kids while the grown-ups heard from a visiting pastor. After the scheduled morning time, there was free time on the field; the kids played and played while the dads engaged in a pretty competitive two-hand touch football game. Then it was lunch and an action-packed afternoon of canoeing, bouldering barn (Fawn), rock wall (Buck), ropes course (Buck), hiking, and more sports on the field. After getting cleaned up, it was time for dinner, more fellowship in the gym, and a bonfire. Everyone was asleep pretty early Saturday night. We were exhausted in the best way!

Sunday morning brought another big breakfast in the dining hall followed by church. Then it was home to Birmingham -- a ride through which Fawn slept almost the entire way! And, our sweet love bug Small Fry waiting for us.

It truly was a wonderful weekend -- we made new friends and had wonderful fellowship time with friends we already knew. We got to spend precious one-on-one time with Fawn and filled up his love tank. And, hopefully we got him excited about Alpine Camp -- a place we hope he chooses to spend his summers.

No comments:

Post a Comment