Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Belle's Shrimp and Grits

After mentioning shrimp and grits in yesterday's post, I thought I might as well share the recipe.  It's super quick and easy -- one that I can start after putting Fawn to sleep and still get on the table by eight.  I used to make shrimp and grits out of the Food For Thought cookbook (the Boursin Shrimp and Grits).  It's a great cookbook, and the Boursin Shrimp and Grits are fabulous.  But, over the years, I've made some tweaks to fit our tastes and everyday budget.

For Two.

Cook the grits first -- use your favorite kind (if I've got the time, I use slow cooking like McEwen & Sons but last night I just went with good ole' five-minute grits).  I always make enough grits for four servings -- this way I've got some leftover grits for breakfast or to add as a side another night for dinner.  In terms of the liquid you cook your grits in, they will be MUCH creamier if you add some milk, half and half, or cream.  I try to do 2/3 water to 1/3 dairy (last night I used half and half because I had some that's about to expire).  Beware: with the dairy the liquid becomes very foamy and likely to boil over creating a mess!  After grits have cooked, leave burner on low and add half of a carton of garlic herb or chive and onion cream cheese.  Stir to melt.  The cream cheese is a significantly cheaper alternative to Boursin cheese and the taste is very similar.

For the shrimp -- saute 3/4 pound peeled shrimp in 1 T of olive oil, 1 T of white wine, 1/2 t thyme, salt and pepper to taste.  Serve the grits topped with shrimp, then prepare sauce in pan you used to saute shrimp.  Add some white wine (maybe 1/2 C) and deglaze pan/let about half of wine evaporate.  Remove from heat and whisk in about 2 T butter until sauce is thick.  Then pour on shrimp and grits.  Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment