Friday, May 6, 2011

The Big Compromise.

Being from the south and having strong collegiate sports alliances, determining in advance of Fawn's birth his alliances was a serious compromise in our house.  Perhaps because we are both lawyers, we take the art of negotiation fairly seriously.  Somewhat ridiculous, I have to admit, but definitely better than arguing!

Buck grew up a huge Alabama fan and went to college and law school at Alabama.  So there is no doubt who he pulls for, always.  I was raised a huge Auburn fan but went to college at the University of North Carolina and law school at Alabama.  I liken myself first to be a UNC fan, and second to be an Auburn fan.  And, after having spent three of the best years of my life in Tuscaloosa, I genuinely want Alabama to win when not playing my first or second teams.  Basically, I'm a college football fan.  And since I can't frequent UNC games, and Buck won't set foot in Auburn, I'd rather be in the Alabama stands cheering with Buck than missing out on college football altogether. 

Really there was no doubt in my mind that we would raise Fawn to be an Alabama football fan.  I want him to have the same wonderful family, fall weekend experiences that I had as a child.  I really am ambivalent about the colors on the jerseys.  But, I wanted Buck to have some alliance to UNC -- so whether he likes it or not, he is officially being raised as an Alabama football fan and a UNC basketball fan. And he's got the gear to prove it:

No comments:

Post a Comment