It's only been one week since the devastating tornadoes ripped through the south, destroying countless lives, homes, and towns in their wake. It seems like a life time ago in many ways. I wanted to share the message of the devotion I did last Tuesday night -- the night before the landscape of Alabama changed. It was such a perfect message to receive on the eve of terrible destruction. And, so ironic to receive this message and this time. I'm working my way through a devotion book I've had for years, but until January hadn't picked up. It's called "Our Daily Bread", and I remember purchasing it when I was in college (years ago!). Last Tuesday's devotion focused on Job 42 and discussed disappointment with God, or rather why we should never be disappointed with God. It said in part:
God's existence, even His love for me, does not depend on my good [circumstances]. . . . He is bigger than life in His power, wisdom, and goodness (Job 42:1-6). Troubling circumstances are no reason to become troubled about the character of God.
I have read the prayer included in the devotion many times in the last week:
Lord, I am often surprised and sometimes confused by the twists and turns my life takes. As a result, I am never quite sure what You are trying to accomplish. So all I know to ask is this: May I always cooperate with You by responding to my circumstances with the attitude and behavior that gives You the most room to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment