Like many of you, I've been glued to the television and newspaper coverage of the devastation in our state. And, I couldn't be more proud of Alabama and Alabamians. I know that Alabama often finds itself as the punchline of national jokes. And, I also know that we have much in our history that is shameful. But, this week the world is seeing a different side of our state -- a side that all of us who live here and love it know.
The God-fearing, God-loving, God-trusting side. The "love thy neighbor as thyself" and "do unto others" side. The confident, courageous, determined side.
We've been through the wringer in the last few years -- Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Katrina, the BP Oil Spill, and now this. And, we keep bouncing back and moving forward by the grace of God and with total faith in God.
And while the pain and trauma of this last week is still raw and overpowering, we are sending a message to the country and the world even in our fear and grief. That God is in control. That He brings the storms and He calms them. That we trust Him. This message of trust and hope in God rings clear in every interview of an Alabamian I have seen on the national news. What a moment of witness!
No comments:
Post a Comment