Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Dreaded M-O-M.

My sweet, precious Fawn first called me "Mama" on Christmas Eve of 2009 -- his first Christmas, and the best Christmas present I could ask for.  Flash forward 18 months and he now calls me "Mom" -- not "Mama" or "Mommy."  I'm just "Mom."  And Buck's just "Dad."  When he needs something, he knows how to turn on the charm and whip out the trump card (a "Mommy" or a "Daddy"), but over the past week or so he's been pretty consistent in referring to us as "Mom" and "Dad" when he's talking to us. 

I guess that I didn't expect the "Mommy" stage of childhood to end so soon.  It frankly makes me sad, and makes me hang onto the few "Mommy"s and "Mama"s that I do get to hear these days.  I am hoping it's a phase and he will soon revert back to sounding more like a toddler and less like a teenager.  As one of my favorite books says, time is a mother's enemy.  It certainly is....while each day brings something new and fun, there is the constant sense that the precious moments of childhood are slipping away before my very eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment