Sunday, May 13, 2012

Month Three Recap.


Once again, we did this month's picture sans Fawn.  He was at school and it was much easier, much calmer.  But, I have to brag on Fawn -- he is embracing his role as big brother more and more each day.  It is precious and I hope is planting the seeds of a lifelong friendship between my boys.  I know I can't force my kids to be friends -- or, frankly, even like each other.  But, I pray they will be buddies and each other's biggest supporter (besides Buck and me and their future wives, of course!).  I only have one sibling -- a brother.  Growing up my dad told us when we were arguing or not getting along that we needed to be nice to each other because we understood each other more than any other person in the world could understand us.  Not only did we share genetics, but we shared an upbringing and history that we would share with no other person.  This "life lesson" has always stuck with me -- and I hope I can instill it in my sons. 

Back to Fawn and Small Fry -- Fawn loves to make Small Fry smile and laugh, and Small Fry loves the reaction he gets from Fawn when he showers him with smiles and laughs.  This is generally accomplished by Fawn singing a funny song or kissing Small Fry on the cheek.  Too sweet.

Small Fry continues to grow like a weed.  I'm talking most size six month clothes don't fit this kid.  He's so long that when I wear him in the Baby Bjorn his head covers up half of my face so I have to talk around him.  So, we've graduated to the Scootababy side carrier (though Fawn continues to insist that Small Fry likes the Baby Bjorn better -- easy for him to say since he's not the one carrying the baby). 

He's cooing and babbling up a storm and will belly laugh daily.  He is such a happy boy -- when he gets his beauty rest, that is.  I was such a stickler with Fawn in terms of his nap schedule; I still am, though the "exception" days come much more often these days.  I used the ever popular Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book to learn about sleep (highly recommend this book!) -- and implemented the one to two hours of wakefulness with Fawn.  It worked like a charm, and I would love to use it daily for Small Fry as well.  But, it's just not possible with an older child to make sure Small Fry gets each nap "on time".  Poor thing, he's dealing well.  But, is definitely happier on days he gets really good naps.  Just something we will have to deal with until he is a little older and a little more adaptable. 

As for night sleep, if you'd asked me two weeks ago I would have said we were doing great.  Small Fry all of a sudden dropped multiple night wakings and was only waking up once (sometime between 1 am and 3 am).  We've regressed some -- back to two wakings and sometimes an extended period of time awake in the middle of the night.  But, at least I know he has it in him to give me a little more sleep!  So there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  The middle of the night is still precious alone time with my little one so I'll continue to look on the bright side and enjoy the snuggles while they last. 

This month has been a bit of a blur in terms of what we've been up to.  The fever virus hit our house hard -- Fawn was sick for almost a week and got Buck sick too.  It was no fun around here.  Small Fry had a low grade fever for a couple days but seemed to fight it off really well.  I thankfully stayed well (someone had to be the caretaker!) but was exhausted.  One night between Fawn and Small Fry I was woken up eight times between 10 pm and 6 am.  I really shouldn't have even bothered trying to sleep!  I've battled mastitis for the second time with Small Fry (I had it twice with Fawn as well).  No fun -- those of you who have had it know how horrible it is; if you've managed to breastfeed without getting it good for you (and be so thankful).  I know we've done our usual Zoo, Overton Park, Tot Lot,  and Triangle Park; and, I know despite the sickness we've had a really great month.

I can't believe my little angel is three months old.  I think it's the book The Red Tent that says "Time is a mother's enemy."  I feel like time is my enemy right now.  I wish the days would be longer and the weeks go by slower.  While it is tough at times, it is such a joyful time of life.  When I meet my Maker I certainly intend on asking Him why babies have to grow so fast.  I'm sure He has a great reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment