Buck and I celebrate nine years of marriage today -- wow! So exciting, and I'm so proud of where we are as a couple nine years after saying "I do". But, it also makes me feel old. How have we been married nine years? And, where, might I ask, have those years gone?
I thought we'd take a trip down memory lane -- my favorite memories from the last almost decade.
Year One: Buck has always done this sweet thing where he squeezes my hand three times to reassure me, calm me down, remind me he's by my side. When we joined hands in the church on our wedding day after my dad gave him my hand in marriage, Buck did the same sweet gesture. I apparently was so nervous and caught up in the wedding that I didn't notice at first -- he had to repeat the gesture. And, I gave him a squeeze back in return. While I don't remember all the details of our wedding day, I remember this one and know I always will. Nothing like the feeling of knowing Buck's by my side.
Year Two: While we did become parents to our first born four legged friend Hank our second year of marriage (and I'm sure that's what sticks out in Buck's mind), it's not the memory I hold most dear. While certainly not an exciting memory, I remember vividly the long talks Buck and I had that year about choosing which law firm I would join as an associate. I know, blah blah blah. But, in my life it was a huge decision -- I was torn. And, it was the first big decision I made as a married woman; relying only on Buck and his guidance as opposed to running everything by my parents. He proved to be a loving, patient and thoughtful sounding board and definitely steered me in the right direction.
Year Three: This year of marriage found me working as a first year associate in a law firm and Buck commuting back and forth to Tuscaloosa for his third year of law school. He had a couple night classes and I remember attempting to wait up for his safe arrival home. Though many a night he would find me asleep on the couch. It was the beginning of my worrying about his well-being and it felt very wife-like. If I know Buck is on his way home or due home, I simply cannot go to sleep until he arrives. It doesn't matter how late it is or how tired I am. I need to know he's here.
Year Four: Buck and Belle move into our forever house! What an exciting time -- and so funny now to think back about discussions of which bedroom would be our first child's, where we would put toys, etc. This house is filled with so many awesome memories. We moved on Iron Bowl Saturday...Buck made sure the television was set up ASAP and watched the game while I unloaded dishes. If I remember correctly, the game turned sour and he resumed his husband moving duties.
Year Five: Days before our fifth anniversary (on Memorial Day of 2008) we found out we were pregnant with our first child. It was definitely something we planned for and planned on, but I think the emotions of learning we were pregnant got the best of both of us. We were overwhelmed -- and thrilled. But overwhelmed. I remember the day we found out (after I presented Buck with a sweet note and the pregnancy test) Buck said, "Let's take the dogs on a walk." He simply needed to clear his head and get a grasp on the enormity of the news. The look on his face was priceless.
Year Six: Fawn's birth and becoming parents was obviously the highlight of the year, but finding out Fawn was a "he" ranks right up there in my favorite days of marriage. Buck was insistent that we find out the gender of our first baby. I was indifferent. While I was excited to know, I also would have been fine with the gender being a surprise. The morning of our ultrasound, I went on a walk thinking about how the news we got would really change our lives...would it be ballet and cheerleading or baseball and hunting? I knew that Buck had his heart set on a little boy -- and frankly I was worried he would be disappointed at first if we were having a girl. Not that I doubted for a moment his ability to love or parent a girl. But, his heart longed for a boy. While we were waiting for the ultrasound tech to take measurements my heart was literally pounding out of my chest. When she typed "BOY!!!" on the screen, Buck's arms automatically raised in the football touchdown signal. I kid you not. HE. WAS. THRILLED. We went out to dinner that night as planned to celebrate our news and then went to pick our son out an outfit. Buck picked out a onesie that said "Chicks Dig Me." I was thinking smocked bubble, but got trumped.
Year Seven: Buck and I took our first trip post-baby. We went to the beach for four days. Not a long trip. Not an exotic trip. But a trip to signify that we are still a we despite the wee ones in our lives. I was terrified to leave Fawn. I had never left him overnight. But, by the time our car hit Montgomery I was relishing in our togetherness and our freedom from parental responsibilities if only for a few days. We had a wonderful time and it gave me the push I needed to do a better job carving out time for our marriage from our busy roles as parents.
Year Eight: We both turned thirty! And, in between our birthdays, we spent a long weekend at The Grand Hotel in Fairhope, Alabama. Buck had to be there for a work meeting and we turned it into a long weekend away. I love The Grand Hotel. I spent several summer vacations there as a child and have very fond memories of my time there. It was wonderful to be there with Buck and to have a grown-up getaway. We went to Wintzell's Oyster House one night for dinner and it was one of the most fun date nights we have ever had.
Year Nine: Small Fry arrived -- which if you read this blog you will know is a memory that will never, ever leave me. I had built up in my mind the moment when Buck would announce our baby's gender at his or her birth. That didn't happen because we didn't have time to tell the doctor that we wanted Buck to share the news. When she started with "A little..." I wanted to scream "Stop!" and my heart sunk just a tad. That is, it sunk in the split second I realized that my plan was not being followed to a "T". But then I heard "A little boy!" and I saw Buck's face. The sweetest smile -- and a squeeze of my hand. HE. WAS. THRILLED. And, the smile and squeeze spoke volumes -- definitely more than three simple words could have.
Buck, I love you "to infinity and beyond" (as we now say in our Toy Story-loving house). Happy Anniversary! It's a blessing to be your wife and make memories with you!
What a sweet sweet post!!!
ReplyDelete